Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, “I’ll try again tomorrow.”I ponder about trusting Heavenly Father and how I struggle sometimes. Without daily face-to-face interaction, my connection to heaven easily falls into disrepair - still. When I am spiritually hitting on all cylinders, life seems easy (or, at least, less difficult). However, when only a few cylinders are powering me along, it takes real courage to "keep on swimming".
I really like a quote from Brene Brown regarding the word courage:
The root of the word courage is cor—the Latin word for heart. In one of its earliest forms, the word courage literally had a very different definition than it does today. Courage originally meant "To speak one’s mind by telling all one’s heart". -- Brene BrownThinking about that definition of courage, I remember Regina Brett's list of life lessons. Every time I read them, I tear up. The Spirit moves me and I feel peace. I especially like #8 (and #15 and #34 and ...).
I've thought a lot about whether it really is acceptable to be angry with God. For me, the answer is yes only if I am willing to tell Him everything that I am angry about and why. It helps me to find peace when I feel like God will take anything I dish out unfazed. Sometimes I just need to "express all my heart" - good, bad, ugly, and sometimes downright nasty - to someone who isn't knocked out of place by any of it. Finding that place, where you feel safe expressing anything, can be a profoundly peaceful place.
I bike into work everyday (generally) and there are 3 significant hills I traverse - each way. Even after riding over them most work days for 9 months, I still grunt while climbing - even with 21 gears.
What's the difference after 9 months of biking?
These days, I climb those hills in 17th or 18th gear (except for the worst one which I climb in 15th), rather than 1st gear.
I find this is a metaphor for my life. I have days when I am discouraged, feeling small, inadequate, under appreciated, overworked, or just plain worn out. On those days, I can pause and notice I'm running up the hills of life (on average) in a higher gear than before. When I have days that I'm running up the hill in 1st gear (yet again), I can heed Pres. Monson's counsel - take courage and "try again tomorrow".
One last thought from E. L. Doctorow (adapted to life instead of writing):
[Life] is like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.That is the benefit of faith and trust in a loving Heavenly Father. I (we all) can make the trip of life never seeing further than my headlights illuminate and arrive where I should be.
No comments:
Post a Comment