Thursday, June 16, 2011

The principle of small

I think I am like most people. I struggle to swallow the proverbial camel whole. While I can't swallow a camel whole, I can take one small bite after another.

To do something big - like save for a really big purchase or achieve a really big goal I can find something small and "just do it". If I do enough small things, I accomplish a big thing.

The real challenge is persevering enough to repeat a simple small action (or actions) over and over and over and ... until I achieve what I want.

Personally I struggle with the whole persevering part. After a few steps (maybe even several big ones) I often feel like I might not succeed and quit. Frequently I discover later that I was on the cusp of success. I never can know ahead of time exactly which drop will fill the bucket.

So I guess the moral of that is I should just follow Dory's (of Finding Nemo fame) advice:
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, ..."

No comments: