Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Getting back on the horse

Our stake held Stake Conference this past weekend. It was great. I have been pondering a lot about what we were taught by a story a member of our Stake Presidency shared.

To paraphrase, when his son was younger he was learning to ride a horse. His son was scared and was squeezing the horse's ribs which told the horse to run faster. In the end his son fell of the horse. As his son sat there on the ground the first time it happened, stunned, his father arrived at his side. Checking that his son wasn't seriously injured, he expressed his compassion, and then told his son the opposite of what was expected - "get back on the horse". His son was bewildered and scared, but did as he was asked, trusting his father. He got back on the horse and ended up falling off again over and over and over - each time "getting back on the horse".

We are all children of our Heavenly Father. We are mortal and therefore subject to the whole range of mortal travails - temptations, grief, sorrow, pain, joy, pleasure, happiness, etc.... He has commanded us to be perfect, but due to our mortality, we all fall short.

How could a perfect Heavenly Father command us to do something we can not do?

That commandment seemed so at odds with the notion of a perfectly loving and compassionate Heavenly Father - a dichotomy of the highest degree. We can not be perfect - due to weaknesses He gave us. I struggled with that dichotomy for several years.

As it always has, prayer, scripture study, and diligent (but imperfect) effort to be obedient to what gospel light I did have, exercising faith that the answer would come at the right time, eventually led me to the answer. Heavenly Father sees my eternal worth and splendor. He also sees (perfectly) my weaknesses. He in fact gave me those weakness so I would have the opportunity to learn humility (Ether 12:27). His compassion is infinite. His love is infinite. I must learn to fully trust Him and always "get back on the horse". His work and glory is to bring to pass my immortality and eternal life (Moses 1:39). Heavenly Father is not a God of contradiction(s) or broken promises.

I learned in Mosiah 4:27 that we are required to be diligent. I am NOT required to run faster than my strength allows. Said a different way, I must be obedient to whatever light and truth I now know. My weaknesses limit me. However, as I am humble and diligent, trusting Heavenly Father, I will learn line upon line, precept upon precept, and as I give ear to His counsel (2 Nep 28:30), I will grow in wisdom and be given more light and truth.

My diligent, faithful work qualifies me for that ultimate prize - exaltation. I can be sure of His promises. My job is to "get back on the horse" each time I fall. Said another way, I must NEVER give up. I have never been commanded to be perfect all at once. The difference between what I can do and what is required (perfection) is paid for by the atonement of Jesus Christ. The Savior's love is greater than my weaknesses and I can access His power to redeem and renew me as I am diligent and faithful to the light and truth I currently have.

No comments: