"Where one door closes, another one opens, but it is hell in the hallways"I've seen a few hallways in my life and some of them have sorely tested me. However, at the other end of each hallway I always have a stronger testimony of Heavenly Father's love for me.
Despite the strength of my testimony, I find that in the crucible of adversity it can be really tempting to forsake things I know to be true. Peter walked with the Savior every day in person and yet denied knowing Jesus Christ (three times even) - despite his testimony of the divinity of Jesus Christ.
Fortunately, I can rely upon the same love, mercy, and matchless patience of God (and Jesus Christ) that Peter experienced. While my time table is finite, God's time table is eternity and He is infinitely patient as I struggle to constantly improve.
The hallways of our lives provide great opportunities to receive His image in our countenance and prove we will be faithful. If we fall down or don't succeed, we can always get back up. There will always be another hallway...
I stumble and fail miserably more often than I want to, but I believe God doesn't see my life in terms of absolutes. It is His work and His glory to bring to pass my immortality and my eternal life (Moses 1:39).
I love Nephi's psalm - 2 Nephi 4:16-35. When I become overly aware and distressed about my imperfections and shortcomings, it brings hope and peace again to me.
O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.
I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.
And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted
...
My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions...
And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me.
No comments:
Post a Comment