My mind has been drawn to the struggles that I have personally felt over the last few years. At times I have felt on top of the world and other times I feel crushed under the load of cares put onto my shoulder. It's been hard to keep an open channel to Heavenly Father and communicate both ways. Life is like that though. There are seasons for all things.
The theme that has emerged for me (and was strongly emphasized in General Conference) centers on personal revelation. Gone are the days when we could rely on others for constant guidance. Instead we now live in a time where we must learn to listen to the Holy Ghost and keep a constant clear channel to Heavenly Father open. The apostles and prophets have been called of God and give us general guidance as it applies to every member of the Church. The specifics of how we should follow the general counsel we receive are received by personal revelation.
As struggles and challenges envelop me and I feel overwhelmed or burdened with a crushing load I remember this thought.
Heavenly Father's business is creating gems of worth beyond measure - not crushing and destroying spirits. Heat, pressure, time, and raw materials are all required to produce the purest gemstones.When burdens and struggles feel like they threaten to crush my spirit, I struggle. What I know and what I practice sometimes don't align with one another. What I do know is that Heavenly Father cares about me. If there is a crushing burden I feel it is because I have been considered sufficiently capable that the load will help me grow but not crush my spirit.
The following quote is often attributed to Gene Krantz (Apollo 13 flight director) but actually came from Bill Broyles (screenwriter for the movie Apollo 13).
Failure is not an option.I prefer the modified version my daughter has in her room.
Giving up is not an option.That's been the story of my life and many of my personal struggles - depression, anxiety, weaknesses, being social, loving people where they are, etc. Giving up has never been an option. I know a good bit about who I am and I know some (but much less than I want) of what Heavenly Father intends for my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment