Monday, August 25, 2008

Grossly Overpowered

I love airplanes - particularly fighter jets. This past weekend, I busted out my copy of X-Plane 8 when that itch needed scratching. Nothing like an hour or so in the simulator.

My aircraft of choice? The SR-71 Blackbird.

I admit it freely - I have a technical love affair with the SR-71 Blackbird. When I'm in the mood, I spend hours reading about it, looking at pictures of it, watching any videos I can find of it in flight.

For a while, I dreamed of seeing one in person - up close and personal. I've dreamed about what it would be like to fly at supersonic speeds - particularly in the plane that still holds world speed and altitude records 32 years after it set them (2193 MPH and 85,000 ft - I just know you were dying to know).

I finally got to see one in person, up close. I got to touch it, walk under it, look inside the massive engine bays, look at it head on. It was non-functional of course, but who cares - it was an SR-71 Blackbird! I probably had more gleam in my eye than a kid in the Willy Wonka Candy factory walking around that plane.

Why do I love this plane (or military planes in general). Well, I think John Bytheway sums up my thoughts nicely.
"I just want to fly something grossly overpowered"

Yep! That about sums it up - grossly overpowered. Pure, unadulterated, testosterone induced thrill!

What more could you ask for than to have 65,000 lbs of combined thrust attached to a giant fuel tank itching to unload its power at your command?

Heaven on earth...

No comments: